Monday, August 23, 2010

I need some advice on how to *nicely* talk about this to my doctor?

Key word is nice... I'm 36 weeks pregnant and nice is getting harder and harder to come by lol. Ok I've mentioned this issue in a previous question but I now need some advice on how to speak to my OBGYN about it (without getting VERY upset). I have been induced all three times I have given birth. Due to extenuating circumstances I have had a different OBGYN each pregnancy. When I went to my first appointment with this OBGYN I made him fully aware of the fact that I have had to be induced all three previous times and that I fully expected I would have to be with this one (I have very large babies). He was absolutely fine with it. In fact 2 visits ago he said he would probablely induce me around the 15th of March. At my last visit he did a sono and said the baby looked just about normal size (my last daughter looked to be 7 lbs on the sono right before they induced me and she turned out to be 8lbs8oz and that was at 38 weeks). After he told me this he started asking about how myI need some advice on how to *nicely* talk about this to my doctor?
I wouldn't be concerned with speaking ';nicely'; about it with him. You are paying him to care for you. Thats his job. You know your medical history better than anyone and you know how you feel. I would just talk to him and tell him that you prefer to be induced since the last pregnancies were induced due to large babies and that you want it done before he leaves on vacation since he wont be back in time to induce you early. If he wont then check around and maybe another doctor will see you under the circumstances.I need some advice on how to *nicely* talk about this to my doctor?
If you were able to birth your 9 lb child without requiring a C-section, that means you'll be able to birth subsequent children of this size without one, too.


I would ask the doctor WHO will represent him and take over care of his patients in case there is an emergency while he and his wife are gone on vacation. There MUST be a substitute available. Then make sure you get to know that doctor.


Trust me, no doctor wants to 'lose' a patient - be it mother or child. Everything will be done to assure your and the baby's health!


Before speaking to your doctor, confront your own fears and reach a state of calm resolution. Then speak to him, focusing rather on 'determined' than 'nice'.


You don't have to lose your temper in order to let him know that you REQUIRE peace of mind in knowing that you will be adequately taken care of while he is absent during the vacation.


To help you with this, pretend you're discussing your best friend's predicament rather than your own. This way, you can speak in clear, determined words rather than getting upset.
Honest answer - your doctor sounds like a dream come true for an OB.





It's nice to hear of one who isn't waving the scalpel at 39 weeks screaming ';big baby';.





It's nice to hear of one who is not insisting on starting a Pit drip at 38 weeks.
I know you're pregnant and stuff, but you sound a little loopy right now. What's wrong with waiting until ';it's time?'; And a C-section isn't the end of the world. I was induced with my first one and I'm hoping I don't have to be this time around...it would be nice to experience what real child birth is like. I think you should just relax and enjoy the last month of your pregnancy. I think you are too paranoid about being induced. Maybe you have control issues.
LOL 8 lbs 8oz is a big baby. I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound snotty, but I gave birth to a 10 lb 1 oz and an 11lb 11oz. Vaginally. No C-Section. My first was the 11lb baby, after that my doc wouldn't even do a sono after the regular 20 week one, because, and I quote, ';if you can get almost 12 pounds out, you can get any baby out';. I ended up having to be induced with my second 2 children because of other issues anyway. Sonograms aren't completely accurate in either direction. A friend of mine was told ';big baby'; at a sono and her baby was 7lbs 5oz. Does your doc have any other partners besides his wife? I mean, who is going to be there to deliver your baby if he and his wife were on vacation? Your doctor sounds like a schmuck, sorry.
Yes, go to another dr. It's not too late. Seriously. You have the right to the best care possible. I would go and see another dr. Thats my answer. IF you were to go in to labor while they were on vacation another dr would be delivering your child anyways, so bye-bye dr.
Ooh. You have every right to be upset. However, I don't think that anything you say to him will convince him to stick around (instead of going on vacation) %26amp; induce you. He kinda has you ';over a barrel';, so to speak. He's going to get paid, regardless of when your child is born. Since there is nothing medically wrong with you (i.e.-high bp, etc.) he can wait %26amp; justify not inducing you until he returns.





My daughter was also 8.8 @ 39 weeks %26amp; I had to have a C-section b/c she wouldn't drop. Yes, it was horrible, but not the end of the world. The scar is small %26amp; I have a beautiful child.





In the end, no matter what you say (whether you say it nicely or rudely), your dr. is still going on vacation. You got a dud/jerk/etc., but I don't think that there is anyone you can report him to as he's not ';tecnically'; done anything wrong. (Ethically wrong, yes!)





I wouldn't say anything to him about it, as it might affect his preformance during your delivery (hopefully it wouldn't). Just suck it up %26amp; hope that you go into labor within the next few weeks.





Good luck, girl. And sorry you wound up with a crummy dr.
I think you need to relax why do need to be induced unless its for health circumstances or your overdue and if your doctor doesn't see a serious health issue I don't know why your worried I would say you need to relax and remember that pregnancy is a natural thing and that if you go into labor on your own accord its not a big deal its actually a blessing. Good Luck and God Bless.





Also wanted to add that 8to 9 lbs is big but its not huge I think you and your baby will be just fine. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment