Sunday, August 22, 2010

My boyfriend just went to rehab for alcohol abuse. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this?

I understand that he needed to go, but I feel now that our whole relasionship was a joke. How could he really love me if he was drunk all the time? I had no idea that his drinking was out of controll. He hid it well. Any words of wisdom out there?My boyfriend just went to rehab for alcohol abuse. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
if he's in rehab he was probably not ';drunk all the time';.... in fact he was probable desperately trying to get drunk but couldnt. if you didnt notice he obviously was not too drunk, probably has high tolerance... believe you me, i have had plenty of drunk boyfriends, it will be better if he beats this thing! i am sure you are upset that he did not trust you enough to tell you, but he probably loved you too much to want to lose you.


when he gets out of rehab he will need you more!!My boyfriend just went to rehab for alcohol abuse. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
When me and my wife were just boyfriend and girlfriend I had a really bad drinking problem, even when we were engaged. She also spent alot of time wondering if I really loved her, and I did. I loved her with all my heart. But I had alot of issues to deal with. I had an addiction. I had alot of pain built up inside me and I wouldn't let it out. I thought that if I kept it all in I could protect her from that pain that I was feeling, But I was only hurting her. I ended up spending alot of time in jail for my drinking. While I was there I had alot of time to get my head straight and figure out what I really wanted in life. God used that experience to turn things around for the better. My wife didn't give up on me. When I got out I was able to let her see all the good that was really in me and that it was pure and true. I am now completely sober and I love it. We are soo happily married now and we have 2 wonderful, precious little boys who think we are the greatest thing in the world. Don't give up on him.
If you really love him, be there for him. It isn't easy. Alcoholics can be very good at hiding it. Unless he gets it under control, he and everyone connected to him will live a life of misery. If you feel the relationship is worth holding on to, learn all you can about it and be there for him. Sometimes having just one person to believe in you gives enough reason to stick with kicking an addiction depending on how bad the addiction is. If he relapses, don't enable him; be strong and make sure he is aware of how he affects you and that you refuse to be a part of negative behavior. Good luck.
If you love and care for this man you would be wise to read as much as you can about this most serious of problems, then armed with knowledge you can start to help him to rebuild his life. It will take time and patience on both your parts but will be worth it in the end.
Your boyfriend is NOT his addiction. His addiction is a controlling factor in his behavior but it but it's not who he is.





Just keep hanging in there. If for no other reason, he loves you because you were there for him during the alcoholism and to support his recovery.
weell...was it forced, or did he choose to go. If he chose, it doesn't mean anything was a joke...he could have realized what he was doing and wanted to take things more serious with you and straighten his life out for you and his family....give him the benifit of the doubt. If he chose to go....chances are he is a pretty good guy, be there for him if you care at all about him...he needs you.
Just support him whole-heartedly while he undergoes treatment for his addiction. If it is meant to be, everything will work itself out in the end.
Stick around, if you liked him when he was drunk maybe you will like him more sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment