Thursday, July 29, 2010

Anyone have advice on how to get a dog to calm down at the vet's office so she can have her nails cut.?

Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) suggests that just before you take your dog to the vet, you take her for a LONG walk to burn off her excess energy. Riding in the car usually gets dogs all excited to begin with, so a long walk (about 60 minutes) will drain some of that energy. He also suggests that if your dog is usually apprehensive about going to the vet (understandably), you take the dog over a few times just for social visits so she gets the idea that a vet's office isn't always a bad place to be.





Hopefully, you will be in the vets office with your pup to make sure that she stays calm and sees her ';mom'; there with her. Ask the vet to show you how to trim the nails. You'll save LOTS of money and the vet will appreciate it, too. It's also a good way to ';bond'; with your pup.





Hope this helps. Please hug your dog for me and thanks for being a good and responsible pet owner.





All will be well.Anyone have advice on how to get a dog to calm down at the vet's office so she can have her nails cut.?
try bringing a cd player with calming music( like the type that is supposed to relieve stress or similar) and have your dog listen to it. It works for me.Anyone have advice on how to get a dog to calm down at the vet's office so she can have her nails cut.?
i found that if I leave the groomer or vet and it is just them and my dog it goes much better if i am there my dog will cry and fuss like he is being abused. he does this at home also when my daughter grooms him they are fine together but once he sees me it MOMMMMMMMMMMy help. i think that is called one spoiled puppy. good advise from others so good luck with this I know i can be a chore to get them cut and yes once they have had a bad experience it is hard to get them over it.
if she was trained from very young to have her fur/nails trimmed, it'd be a breeze to do this, even without having to go to the vet. I trim my cat's/dog's fur/nails - no problem at all. And save a lot of $$ too
yes, learn to do it yourself at home. Take time to get your dog use to touching their feet....then ease in to possibly using a dremel. It depends on the size of dog, but at a vet they will either sedate them or chop them so short that the dog will hate going there. Try doing a paw a night and making it not so bad for them. This is why it is a good idea to start them young and do them every two weeks.....play with their feet all the time.


Good Luck
we had that trouble the first time we tried it the dog was calm and the cutting went off OK but the next time the vet must have cut him and he growled and the vet put the muzzle on him and things got very heated.





the next year I took him there for nail clipping and the vet said my dog was too vicious and he was only able to cut one nail so I left it at that.





Finally this year I thought I can't let this go on anymore so I had the dog anaesthetized and finally his nails are cut. they had to cut them very severly.





I don't want my dog to be vicious due to his being freaked out at the vets. I don't know what I will do next year . I'll think about that when it comes around.





So I have told you my experience but it may not have answered your question as you hoped sorry
To get her used to getting her nails clipped. Whenever she is resting or sleeping massage her feet and toes. This will get her used to people touching her feet and she will realize it does hurt when people touch her feet . And maybe she won't freak out every time you take her in to get her nails clipped. :) I do this with all my dogs and they all let me clip their nails without flinching. And i cut them as short as i can get them to the quick without making them bleed.
I have a dog who suffered severe nail neglect by a previous owner. I take her to the vet's office every 3-4 weeks for a trim, because there is no way I could do it myself. BTW vets don't cut them deadfully short unless you ask them to... and some even refuse to do it because of the risk of infection. It's just that I found the vet techs do a much better and much more careful job than any of the groomers I have been to. Every groomer I have seen keeps the styptic powder nearby in case they quick the dog, which they frequently do. I've never had a vet tech cut a nail too short. (Though if you find a groomer that does a good job, great, because they usually charge about half as much as the vet's.)





So, what you really want to know: the first few times, they used two techs to do it. The dog was placed on her side, and one of the techs covered her head with a towel and held her down. I had never heard of anyone doing this, and it worked really well! They are not inclined to fight back when they are gently restrained in this way and can't see, so they have no choice but to relax and let things happens.





After a while my dog got used to it enough so we don't use the towel anymore. She still doesn't like it, but she is always happy to see ';her'; tech, and though she still ';talks'; through the procedure she puts up with it calmly and willingly.





Good luck!
  • lipgloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment