Saturday, July 31, 2010

TV and babies/children, etc....any advice on how to handle friend?

My friend has a 5 month old baby. She seemed ';appalled'; that I let my 9 month old watch Sesame Street and another show called ';Its a Big Big World';. She said she will never let her child watch tv at all. My daughter doesn't watch the whole programs, just the parts with Elmo (she absolutely loves elmo) and when they sing on Big Big World. We do not let her watch any other TV (actually, she is not interested in anything else). She loves to read, listen to music, paint, we go to the park and play a lot all day long. My friend basically told me that my daughter is going to not grow up correctly. I also lightly throw my daughter in the air (i do it gently and she doesn't leave my arms), which my friend gasped when I did that and she also about hit the roof when I lightly patted my daughter and her daughter on the head because of their soft spot. Ped. said not to worry. I am obviously doing everything right...my baby is advanced for her age. Any advice? We are both new parents...TV and babies/children, etc....any advice on how to handle friend?
Take what your friend says with a pinch of salt. Just because you are a new parent does not mean you dont know what your doing. You know your child best. Limited TV does not hurt kids and some programs are very educational learning counting and colours. If your friend really starts getting on your nerves just tell her to do things her way and you do them yours.TV and babies/children, etc....any advice on how to handle friend?
i thin kthat your frien dis a bit over protected and thats normal if she is a new parent. but whats gonna happen when she takes her child to school or daycare and the watch a movie? elmo is very educational for children i think. im 15 and i still love elmo. sesame street taught me my numbers too. your daughter seems like she is expanding her creativity and just trying out different stuff to see what she likes. you let her have fun and learn all at the same time. your friend hasn't learned that yet. just ignore what she is saying because your child isnt hers so there.
I was going to say - even before you said it-- she is a new parent... I can tell. first off, don't worry about what you are doing - you are doing everything right.....


she will never let her child watch tv - okay - lets see that happen... this is pretty much a ..


';wait and see'; thing. first time parents are sometimes like this. (I do daycare - and I see how they are so much more different then others- they go completely by the book - they believe everything they read-) by the time they have a 2nd kid - they are much different parents. for the better!!!!


Just know - you are doing everything right. When it comes to throwing the baby up - (and its not even leaving your arms) - she must have read up on shaken baby syndrome - there is a difference between doing what you are doing - and what she has been reading!!


so - just wait it out -- might be a few years - its a new parent thing!!
its not going to hurt your baby if you let her watch...tell her thats her opinion on things and shes not the one rasing your baby....She can do things the way she wants to and you can do it your own way...
i think she is paranoid. i wouldn't worry about it.
dang she is paranoid. Its fine that she does not allow her child to watch tv but she should not be nakib=ng you feel bad because you do. I have always thrown my kids up in the air and they loved it and are fine! I would ploitely tell her I know we parent differently but your way is not necessarily the right way nor is mine( meaning you) but this is your child and you'd appreciate her not acting like you are parenting wrong because you parent different than each other. In other wors you need to speak up to her if you are going to hang around each other.
She sounds like she is suffering with post natal depression to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment